The Return of the Wolf to the European Landscape: Challenges and Solutions
European conference on wolf management to be held by the “Biodiversity, Hunting, Countryside” Intergroup at the European Parliament in Brussels on September 15th, 2015.
Wolves are making their comeback to the European landscape. While the increase of the European wolf population is certainly a success story due to the good implementation of the Habitats Directive, the presence of this large carnivore raises new challenges in places where it had not been sighted for almost a century and asks for solutions to the growing number of conflicts it is causing. Hailed by some and feared by others wolves are contributing to a heated debate between those whose livelihoods are affected by wolves, those who welcome them and policy makers involved in the governance of their populations.
Against this backdrop the Intergroup on “Biodiversity, Hunting, Countryside” of the European Parliament will organize a conference on September 15th 2015 on the Return of the Wolf to the European Landscape: Challenges and solutions.
MEP Karl-Heinz Florenz (EPP) Intergroup President said: “Fairytales aside, we must avoid the situation, where wolves lose their natural wariness towards humans. When the media will report on the first serious incident, the “welcome back wolf-attitude” will disappear. This is exactly what we are trying to prevent by promoting a reasonable approach to managing the return of the wolf to the European landscape.” Mr Florenz will introduce the event which will be chaired by MEP Bendt BENDTSEN (EPP).
- Helmut DAMMAN-TAMKE, President of the Hunting Association of Lower Saxony
- Dr. Julien ALLEAU, Centre de Recherche d’Histoire Quantitative
- Emmanuel COSTE, COPA-COGECA
- Jozef DOCZY, Director Department of Forestry and Hunting, Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development of the Slovak Republic
- Semi NIEMI, Adviser at the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry of Finland
- Dr. Eick von RUSCHKOWSKI, Nature and Biodiversity Conservation Union (NABU)
To register to the event:
Please send an email to Cecilia Luetgebrune: firstname.lastname@example.org
FOLLOW UP THE MEETING: